Saturday, January 9, 2010

Slow Reading

I'm still reading The House of Spirits, by Isabel Allende. I started it in October, about the same time I started this job, and so far I'm about 1/4 of the way through it. Pathetic! I just seem to keep so busy nowadays. I heard a quote once about how you always do the things you want to do. So, whatever you keep busy with during the day--that's what you really want to do. People say they wish they had more time for other things, but when it comes down to it, every day you have a certain amount of time, and if something is that important to you, you make time for it.
So when people say "I wish I had more time to read," I never really believe them. They have the time--they just choose to use it on other things. That's what I've been doing lately: moving, getting settled in a new job, cooking, watching tv, playing Wii games... I have free time, but I don't use it to read! That's why I'm still barely into a book I started two months ago.

It's a good book, by the way. It reminds me really strongly of One Hundred Years Of Solitude, which I loved. Now that I'm reading it a bit more often I'm more into the story: I feel more connected with it. It's kind of a long family epic which changes main characters as the family morphs and time goes on, which is sometimes really interesting, and sometimes hard to follow. But, so far, the author has done a good job of keeping me interested!
Next on my reading list? Who knows. Jesse's taking a class of Northern mythology, and is reading Icelandic myths right now, so that might be on my radar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, whether deep, shallow, short, long, or sweet happily accepted!

a little ridiculous, old-school, and oh so stylish