Sunday, May 23, 2010

A To-Do of Cabo Craftiness

What is it about beach vacations that are so attractive?
We're going on a fantastic family funtime in July, and lately all I can think about is soaking up sun, sitting on beaches, and sipping those giant fruity drinks with the umbrellas.  Oh, yeah, maybe it's because Portland is trying to remove sun from our lives with all this rain.
In expectation of the upcoming escape, I've created a little list of crafty to-dos. We'll be enjoying the sun in Cabo San Lucas, so these items are all beach and flower-in-your-hair appropriate.

1) Seersucker shorts. For years I've been looking for just the right beachy shorts, in perfect seersucker. The search is off--I'm making my own! I haven't made shorts before, and I don't actually have a pattern, so this might be an adventure...

2) English Seaside Dress, from Modcloth.com (The name must change before I wear it in Mexico, of course.)
Yes, another Modcloth remake! This dress is so sweet and light, and looks so easy to re-create! I've already found the perfect doilys off Etsy, and I just got a nice soft cotton/bamboo fabric, in light sage green. I'll probably use a burdastyle pattern I already have, for a simple tunic dress. This one's next on my list! Any ideas for a better name?

3) This is one I'm actually already working on, and almost done. I call it Cabo San Sundress. To keep the suspense, I won't tell you anything more, other than that I used another Collette pattern, a bright fabric print from a sale at Bolt, and that it's very appropriate for Mexico.

4) I don't have any concrete ideas for the last project yet, but I just bought this fabric off Etsy:
There's not very much of it, but I think it would make a cute little short skirt, so we'll see what I can pull off.

I have two months to work on all of these-- hopefully that's plenty of time! It's my belief that one of the best parts of vacation is looking forward and planning for it. I can just imagine how satisfying it will be when I finally wear all the clothes I've been working on all summer. It's good to have goals. Cabo San Lucas, here I come!

1 comment:

  1. can you do a skirt with kind of soft, big pleating with that last fabric? that way you could fit in lots of the big squares. we all know your body is big enough to fit like, one of them, if the fabric's held taut. ;)

    i love reading your blog, katrina. i think we have very compatible crafty natures. :)

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts, whether deep, shallow, short, long, or sweet happily accepted!

a little ridiculous, old-school, and oh so stylish