A few months ago I found this dress on Modcloth.com, and just loved it.
I made a few simple changes from the pattern (Madison), mostly in the collar, to get it to look more like the modcloth version. Here's my version:
Just a few issues with it:
-It's a little big, but with the belt added it looks great and you can't tell, so not a big deal.
-The pockets stick out a little funny, but I almost think they're supposed to. Either way, it gives me a bit more hips, so also not a big deal.
-I used leftover scraps of interfacing for the collar (I was too cheap to go out and buy more), so the back collar doesn't have quite as much body or shape as I want. Again, probably not a big deal.
-And last, the fabric. I was focused on savings and on the houndstooth, so when I bought the fabric off Etsy I didn't realize it was just quilting cotton. Not the best for clothing--it's kind of cheap feeling. But it turned out okay. The body in the fabric works well with the pattern, as it's not supposed to be too flowing. Next time I make this, I 'd spring for the nice wool houndstooth and maybe put a lining in it.
Modcloth.com version: $50 on an impulse buy.
My version:$20, a lot of time, and so much more meaningful!