Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Bikes and Such


I've become infatuated with Dutch bikes. I can't help it, they're just so pretty. I love the whole Dutch/Holland bike culture--people riding to work in their business suits and skirts with heels, carrying groceries or kids. It's so care-free and stylish!


I wish biking in the States would be a bit less sporty and a bit more casual. Less emphasis on how fast you can get somewhere and more on enjoying the ride--and everyone rides!


I've been riding my bike to work for the past month (my temp work, which may become permanent--we'll see) It's only about 2 miles, so it's not a bad ride at all. It takes about 10-15 minutes in the morning, and 15-20 minutes in the afternoon. Only because riding home is uphill a bit more, and I'm lazy. But I've loved riding so far! I have to admit that getting up and seeing the rain coming down is not very encouraging, but usually the rain is only light, misty stuff. Earlier this week I did get pretty drenched, and it took my pants an hour to dry. Gotta remember to bring a change of clothes for that...


But I've really loved biking--it does a great job at waking me up in the morning, as I ride at 7:00am, and my legs already feel like they're getting used to the exercise. Plus, I don't waste money on a bus ticket (it's faster riding my bike anyway), and I since I don't even have a car I don't have to worry about gas prices or parking or anything. The only thing I have to worry about is if my pant leg will get caught.


Which is why I've fallen in love with city bikes, because they are built for everyday riding, anywhere. I love in Denmark and Holland the thinking that you ride your bike in whatever clothes you're wearing, even if it includes two inch heels. I'm not quite that daring yet, but we'll see...


Maybe when I'm rich I can afford a fancy schmancy city bike, but for now I'll continue to ride my (well, Jesse's...) bike every day, because it's fun. And so good for the environment AND me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, whether deep, shallow, short, long, or sweet happily accepted!

a little ridiculous, old-school, and oh so stylish